There's an amazing group called Character Design Challenge, with a new theme every month and hundreds of artists submitting designs from all over the world. This month is Harry Potter character designs! You can choose any one character from the Potterverse and create your version. This is my Rowena Ravenclaw.
Design considerations based on my research:
- Lived in medieval-era Scotland = Fashion inspired by that era, and some Norse.
- Described as beautiful and witty, intelligent and creative = Definitely wanted a book in the design, and for her to be striking.
- Her diadem/headpiece has only a description of the blue oval sapphire at the centre.
- Wanted to tie House colors into her fashion, assuming the colors were born from her look.
- House animal is an eagle = I designed a shawl made of giant eagle feathers.
- "Ravenclaw" is an old european name, not meaning the bird but rather a color... "raven" as in shiny black. "Shiny black claw" like that of an eagle. I figured she likely had raven-colored hair.
- I wanted to incorporate Celtic design into her dress, as well as mysticism symbology. The eye is a standard symbol for mystic wisdom.
So much fun to dig into details and create something new!
Follow me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/CThompsonYYC/